Building homes the popular municipal complex that lies to the West
of Central Station in the city suburbs. The building was founded in
the year 1909 by Sir Gilbert John Elliot M.K.M Bart and Carl Minto
who happened to be the Viceroy and Governer General of India at that
time. The building has been named after Lord Ripon, who made great
contributions regarding local self government. In the year 1913 the
municipal corporation of Madras started functioning from the Ripon
in 1976 in memory of the poet-saint Thiruvalluvar, Valluvar
Kottam is a massive auditorium, constructed on reclaimed land
from an unused lake filled with the city's garbage and debris. The
auditorium can seat up to 4000 people.
The Madras Observatory owes its
existence to Sir Charles Oakeley, a former Governor of the
Madras Presidency and Michael Topping Arch, a sailor and an
astronomer, who was responsible for building it.
The Observatory was established for
promoting the knowledge of Astronomy, Geography and Navigation in
1792 under the administration of Sir Charles, the then Governor of
Madras. William Petrie, a noted English astronomer and
member of the Government of Madras, supported Sir Oakeley in
his effort. William Petrie had some five years earlier built
an observatory at his own expense. This observatory was
probably the first modern astronomical observatory in the East.
At the southern tip of Marina is the
towering basilica built on the spot where St. Thomas (an apostle of
Jesus Christ) was buried. This is the church of the Archbishop of
Chennai - pastoral head of the Catholic community in the region.
Besides the beauty of its rising
spire, this Gothic styled church has a brilliant stained glass
depiction of St. Thomas' encounter with the resurrected Christ.
Some relics and a fragment of bone of
the saint remain in the crypt below the altar.
This most important Shiva temple in
the city is also the most splendid example of Dravidian temple
architecture in Chennai.
In the heart of bustling Mylapore,
the 120 feet tall Gopuram (spire or tower), the 18th century tank
and the bronze statues of the 63 Shaivite saints make this shrine a
must-see pilgrimage spot for visiting devotees.
The 63 figures are carried in a
procession on the eighth day of the 10-day Aruvathumoovar festival